Saturday, February 16, 2013

His Banner over me is LoVe.

His Banner of me is Love~ Song of Songs 2:4

Hello Hello! I am sorry it has been over a week since I have last debriefed my life and the Adventures here in South Africa... I am finally having a moment to think as I sit under my bunk bed, I have just finished one of the 6 papers I have to do in the next 2 weeks as are intensive schooling comes to a close... This is so crazy to me. We have been In South Africa for like a month...!! Say What?! Ya I have no words..it has been more then just a blessing! Mmmm this afternoon it has been quiet and still, misty, and a light drizzle..I am beyond thankful to rest after a full week!

Here is a little catch up!

Last weekend: Friday night went to an epic Sharks game (Rugby) It was raining and epic..the Sharks blew out the Leopards by I don't know of how many points.. but a lot. A fun experience for sure.

~Also, last weekend we went on an excursion "Battle Fields"..we saw where the Zulu's fought the Boers..Where the Brits and Zulu's fought...and the Brits and Boers. It was a hot weekend, but it was cool to see history come alive as we saw the battle sites. We got to stay in a pretty nice hotel that looked more like a cottage/ museum out of a book or movie. Had a wonderful meal..and had some real coffee which was a plus...It was a full packed weekend, but so worth it.

Monday// Had a local pastor come and speak to us for Chapel.... Mmmm talked about how 1 and 3 people have aids in KZN area where we are at...then we finished watching "The Cry of Freedom"..a movie that is based on true facts that happened during the Apartheid era..my eyes were not dry after that. Still can't believe the apartheid era happened. Monday ended up being a nice change of pace day. Watched some drop dead dive with our CLC Janet. Did some running and Cross fit with the monkeys :)

Tuesday// I slept through my alarm for the first time ever on this trip. We visited Walk in the Light (another NGO) , a service site that some of us will work at. It was pretty awesome set up. They grow these flowers to make an oil base for perfume. God is doing amazing things there. They have hopes to build a community center on a hill, they want to be a "City on a Hill" to the surrounding township....     //A Beautiful thing that was said today " ..Need to acknowledge God;s image on every person..."..// In the evening had a little coffee and ice cream date with some girls from our group. So blessed. Good treats and good conversation.

Wednesday// it always is a busy day.., but love it..got up early to be alone and just think and read, which I love. Then had art for the majority of the day. We got to print our stamps that we made so it was so much fun! Love the girls in my art class. We manage to get through the long day together.. We then ventured to a art museum and got to hang out over coffee. Then in the evening had girls night!! There are like 40 girls here..it was so much fun..and good food...we got dressed up, which does not happen very often here ahaha. The first place we were going to go to lost their electricity. T.I.A (This Is Africa).

Thursday// Happy Valentine's Day.// We Had Pancakes for BREAKFAST! Yes. God's Love is so so big..his banner over us is LOVE... I have to say by far..this was the best Valentine's day I have ever had. I will get back to that later..// In the morning we had a speaker/pastor come and speak to us about the religious practices of many Zulu people here in South Africa. We talked about the Witch Doctors in the township, there is such a strong trust in the Witch Doctors, who work with the ancestors to do healing and other things... In addition to talking about the religious practices, the speaker talked about the spirit/ culture of "Ubuntu" this is about the essence of being human....and gave us some great sayings from Desmund Tutu~ being willing to go the extra mile for the sake of another..~ Anyways we ended up visiting a witch doctor in a local township, there was not a heavy set of discomfort, but it was still uneasy being there, there was emptiness in the man's eyes..as we were there I just kept praying for him and those he interacts with.. it started raining when we were leaving..it had been a hot warm humid day...on the way back to AE we say our CLC Janet's house..she is a gem. // Before dinner went running with Mel, Penny, and Ris in the reserve. Beautiful women of God.. always am blessed. Mel and I ended up going further and did about 5 miles..we reminisced over good old track days and finishing the 4x4 and how good that felt when we crossed the finish line... Then all of us got dressed up for our Valentine's dinner... so fun so fun.. We had Chicken Alfredo South African style and the red velvet cake Mmmmmmm ya!!! Then we had a party afterwards and ended up playing soccer into the late hours/ early hours of the night/morning...aha awesome.

Friday// Our group went to UBI~ Union Bible Institute..it is a seminary school. We got to hang out with them for the whole day. We got to attend their chapel. It was lovely..a lot of spontaneous worship and getting up and out of our seats..dancing..singing..so much joy and laughter... played some crazy games and met some beautiful people...One of the guys in our group.(Sammy) accidentally took down a brick wall with his leg..// We got to meet so many different people.  One lady I met was names Nontando Mgabile <3 She is 26 and is a pastor, but working on her first year of seminary school. She has such a beautiful voice and a passion for Christ. We couldn't always understand each other fully, but a smile says so much.. It was a blessing..After lunch we played a game of soccer in the misty air in the pouring rain..one of the greatest things ever.. had so much fun sliding in the mud..and with good competition. The UBI guys beat us, but it was still so fun! We can break down so many walls when we just fellowship, worship, compete, and talk with one another. It was a blessing...oh we almost got hit by lighting too... Mmmm so wet. Then went to a youth group..brought me back to those good old high school days...and then had a MacDonald's stop for ice cream..

Today// Saturday// Mmmmmm a monkey just took a bag out of our "Cougars den" you never know what can happen in a day. I am going to get back to homework now.. Mmmm oh and I figured out the service site I will be at ..and it's Riv Life. I am so excited to see what God has planned and the people that I will meet... God is good!!

//Shout out// to my little sister Anna Joy!! Whose Birthday is today!! Blessings Anna when you read this! I love and miss you..praying for you!!

Shalom&Love,

Sarah Rae


The Week in Pictures:


























No comments:

Post a Comment